View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Howard Chasser

Default He was actually on 3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Those are great Howard! I have never seen that Dapper Dan program before. I have seen the other cover (1972) a few times.
1962 was the first, 1967 and 1972. Anyone happen to have the 67 to post a picture or do I need t dig mine up?

The 62 is far and away the toughest pf the 3 (imo) I think I've only seen 1 or 2 others. The 72 is next hardest and the 67 ironically the "easiest" albeit not easy. The 62 and 72 are smaller format - the 1967 full magazine size.

Great story behind the 67 Venezuelan. It was once owned by John Rumierz. He introduced me to Venezuelan cards back in the mid-late 90's at the Willow Grove show. Oh to be back at his table again - just about you name it - he had it (don't bother looking him up, all the good stuff is LONG gone). The first time I saw them I thought they might be a scam!! John explained to me what they were and I (mostly) believed him. I bought a bunch of bigger name HOFers from him (mostly lesser expensive ones (heck his Ryan rookies were the most expensive at around 1k) - as I wanted to do some research and learn more before investing any real money). I bought a bunch of other Clemente cards from him that were in the 40-100 range. When I asked him the price on the 67 - he told me 1k (as much as the Ryan rookie!!) - When I asked him why, he explained that it was the only copy of that card he had ever seen!! I passed on it. I "visited" it 3 months and 6 months later at the same WIllow Grove show. In the mean time I could find very little information about the Venezuelans outside of verifying they were in fact legit. I think it was about a year after I first saw it, I called John who was kind enough to negotiate a little bit, and pulled the trigger. PSA has graded only 9 total copies of this card - 2 - 5's, 1-3, 1-2, 4-1's and 1 - Authentic. Rare both for it's incredible condition as well as in an absolute sense - over about 30 years looking, I have only seen this card publicly 2x - I just missed the graded 3 (Josh was a little quicker than me ;-)) and I owned (since sold) a raw copy that would have been a 1 or "A"

Last edited by hcv123; 04-18-2019 at 08:39 PM.