View Single Post
Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by T205 GB View Post
I just find it hard to believe there are zero test sheets, notes, drawings, discussions, documentation, or anything confirming there was to be 400 players. Yet they went on to print another entire T207 set. So I guess it is possible the Military and bird series were part of the 400 series if the T227's had it and really who knows what other sets were created together but because some guys categorized them they were broken up. We can only speculate but the numbers of those sets together add up better than they didn't just print them IMO.
For why they might stop T205s and change to T207s it might be good to look at what was happening with other things from an aesthetic viewpoint. The teens were a time when the arts and crafts movement was strong with some emphasis on less ornate design. While I really like them, T205s T80 etc have always struck me as a throwback to the more ornate stuff of the 1800's. Art Nouveau might have covered T205s, and the others, but the designs don't flow like good art nouveau.
So perhaps they were a bit unpopular either as old fashioned or if art nouvaux, just not all that good.
They were also probably expensive to produce. The silver border T220s may have been a set cut short for the same reason, but were finished witout the silver borders.
T207s would have been much cheaper to make. Using maybe half as many colors. And 200 less 8 pose variations plus 200 T207s also comes in right at 400. (And yes, that's a huge stretch given nearly no shared backs between those two sets)

Steve B