View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 11:24 AM

Default What is a complete set vs master set

i posted something along this line on the pre-WW side. I still have my Topps from the 1980's but I have purged everything after 1989 as junk. I was born in 1961 and i have a Master Set. All the variations. I chased it only because it was the year I was born. I completed the 1955 set in 1980, and now there are these weird variations of signatures on the front?Do I have to go back and chase those? So-a Master Set is every card, with every card's variation. That is clear. A Complete Set is every card number in a set regardless of what the variation is that you happen to have.
My frustration lies in the Diamond Star set. Cards 1-96 are the Low numbers. 97-108 are the High Num,bers. The fronts of these 12 highs depict the exact same picture as these 12 in the lows. Bill Dickey in the lows, has the exact same picture as in the highs. So why collect these HIGH PRICED high numbers, if you already have the player cheaper in the lows? Not like in 1952 Topps, where we can agree that you must have the Highs to have a complete set.
My frustration also goes into T206. I have a nice handful of HOF'ers' BUT I could never go after what many feel is a complete set of 520, because a complete set would have to include Wagner, Plank, Magie, etc.
My therapist gets $250 an hour to help me with this.
So......Bottom line. Can you sleep at night "truncating" and calling your set a "complete set"? (yup-she gets $250 an hour for this)