View Single Post
Old 01-31-2019, 11:51 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I usually buy the SP and SSP cards in a year or 2 after the prices come down.
I like to wait, too, for the price drops, although I'm still on the hunt for a couple of SSPs from the 2016 Topps Update set that still sell for hundreds when they are available (which is almost never). Has me re-thinking some of the waiting part, which is why I took an early look at Series 1 from this year.
And this year's SSPs annoy me, in part because the Red Sox have a bunch: 4 out of the known 24 at the moment, just behind the Yankees, coming in with 5 (I would think that Topps would want to spread the wealth a little) - and that's just for Series 1, who knows how many the total for the year will be. Also, I'm not a fan of an SSP for a card that doesn't share the same team as the player on the base card (card #344 is Max Scherzer, SSP is Pedro Martinez). And while many times the SSP image variation is a pretty nice shot, sometimes it can be pretty lame (the Boggs this year) or even completely lazy on the part of Topps - the Pedro SSP this year is the exact same image as an SP from last year's set.