View Single Post
Old 05-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Dave Grob

Default Steiner Auctions

I won the Jerry Zimmerman bat and was beyond thrilled that they decided to “phone in” the description on the Lot (#59).

Lot Description: Jerry Zimmerman was an American professional baseball player and coach. He played all or part of eight seasons in Major League Baseball for the Cincinnati Reds and the Minnesota Twins from 1961 to 1968, primarily as a catcher.

Wikipedia Entry for Jerry Zimmerman: Gerald Robert Zimmerman (September 21, 1934 – September 9, 1998) was an American professional baseball player and coach. He played all or part of eight seasons in Major League Baseball for the Cincinnati Reds and the Minnesota Twins from 1961 to 1968, primarily as a catcher. Born in Omaha, Nebraska, he attended Milwaukie High School in Oregon.

Zimmerman is considered the primary catcher for the 1961 Reds National League Champion team (76 game to 52 for Johnny Edwards) and also played on the 1965 Twins World Series team. Anyone who has ever tried to put together a team set of game used bats from a season such as these knows that players like Zimmerman are much much tougher than the stars. I have been looking for a Zimmerman bat for almost a decade. I tried to buy one a few years ago for $850 and couldn't because it was part of a 1965 Twins set.

Getting this one today ($120 with hammer) now gives me a game used bat of every position player on the 1961 Reds team who appeared in more than 70 games that year.

Dave Grob