View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 12:31 AM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
My favorite was Jim Roy, of V&J Baseball Cards. The V and J were the first letters of his daughters first names. Jim was a barber, and ran a barber shop in Riverside MO. He had a small glass case with some cards in it that would sell from time to time. Slowly he transitioned more to cards and less on cutting hair, eventually moving to a busy corner in North Kansas City, Antioch and 72nd Street. He always had the basics, but Jim would come up with some of the coolest stuff around. I remember his display of a complete set of Transogram figures that he had spread out over a glass shelf in one of the cases. I heard he eventually sold his collection, but not sure what happened to him otherwise. I hope he is doing well.
Can't believe someone remember's Jim Roy on this board. That's great. I would head to the Riverside barbershop to buy and sell with Jim. His wife was always around in the business. They really grew fast and moved up to 72nd and North Oak and ditched the haircuts. I know you said Antioch but pretty sure it was North Oak but Antioch is close. They had a location and moved a few doors down when they outgrew that. He was definitely a product of the card explosion of the 80's into the early 90's.