View Single Post
Old 01-11-2016, 09:16 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Affordable HOFers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTysver View Post
All are good. I might mention that you can pick up Monte Irvin cards for very very cheap still. You can find his 52 Topps for less than $10 still. Irvin was a man caught between times. Often his career is looked at as a National Leaguer and not just a Negro Leaguer. His career is like Satchell Paige's however. He had a great career in the Negro Leagues and was older in the Major Leagues (he was a 30 year old rookie), yet still had a very good Major League career. He was elected via the Negro League ballot.

Somewhat the same deal with Roy Campanella. He was 27 before being called-up to the Dodgers and then of course his career was cut at least somewhat short (he had already begun to slow down) in 1958 with the accident. Regardless of the argument that he didn't deserve at least one of them - Campanella and his 3 MVP's in 5 years is something that I think is definitely overlooked by the collecting community. Most if not all of Jackie Robinson's cards seem overpriced or at least "high" to me (in that even for lower grade examples - you don't often see them for sale at or below SMR values...) but Campy is largely ignored. At least in the period from 1951-55, you would have to admit that for the offensive production of the Brooklyn Dodgers, Campanella was a much more valuable player than Robinson. I get that Jackie's signature accomplishment was a unique one, and is unequaled both in baseball and American history - but by the same token purely as a player - I feel that Campy largely doesn't get his due.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-11-2016 at 09:18 AM.