View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 02:28 PM
Val Kehl

I have never consigned to an eBay auction house, such as PWCC. But, from time to time, I have consigned items to catalog-internet auction houses as well as internet-only auction houses, and here is what I have learned from my experience in my efforts to better my return:

- There is no reason for me to pay a seller's commission in this day and age.
- If I feel my item is worth a 1/2 page exposure in the glossy auction catalog, I discuss this with the auction house, as I don't want a surprise later when my item only got a 1/5 page of catalog coverage.
- I make sure to confirm which auction my item will appear in. A month ago, I consigned an item to an auction house that had a catalog auction that ended very recently. At the time I consigned, I was told that my item could make it into this auction that just ended. I declined this, preferring to wait until their next catalog auction, because I knew that my item would either (1) appear in the last-minute-additions section at the end of the catalog, or (2) be included with the internet-only items that are not pictured in the catalog. IMHO, such inclusions are not going to maximize my return.
- I sometimes specify, or at least suggest, the starting bids for my items. If I am consigning a $1,000 item, I feel that a starting bid of $250 will imply that it is worth more than a staring bid of $100 will. I feel more strongly about this when I am consigning an obscure, low-demand item.
- I note on the consignment form info that I feel is very relevant and should be included in the catalog description of my item - e.g., rookie card, 1 of 2 graded, third highest graded, scarce type 3 back variation, scarce color variation, toughest common in the set, etc. Auction houses are not always aware of these nuances, and some auction houses don't do as much research as others.
Val