View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 AM

Default Proofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark70Z View Post
I don't know if you'd be able to tell if the blank backs were proofs or not unless there were something different about the front of the card, they used a different type of cardboard and/or you had something documenting that it is a proof from Topps. I have always just referred to them as blank backs as well.

Zach... Any proofs of Brooksie from '72? By the way I really like the '72 O's team shot.
I am certainly not an expert - but there appear to be several classifications of "proofs". This can be seen in the '85 minis proofs (which were never meant to be issued) where clearly the printing company was experimenting with different types of card stock, smudge factor, appearance, drying times etc. Cards are found with blank backs made of 3 different cardboard types. Proofs also cover cards like the Topps Vault "Proof" which appears to be identical to the final card. I believe Topps kept these copies as reference copies, but am not sure.

Sorry no '72 Brooksie Proof. Almost all of the '72 Topps Proofs I've acquired have some connection to the Topps Vault.....looks like Brooks is probably still in the vault....

Z Wheat