View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 04:48 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
FYI, while the timing of their release during the 1916 Calendar Year varies and remains somewhat ambiguous, all 1916 Ruth cards (blank or ad back) are considered his rookie card. Also, many collectors believe the M101-5 related issues (e.g., Famous & Barr/M101-5 blank backs) to be among the earliest released issues. A moot point because a “Rookie card” designation is typically ANY cardboard issue released during the entire calendar year (not predicated on which month during the year the card was issued).
Vintageclout - Thanks for that info. All things being equal though, I would prefer to have the M101-5 version of Ruth over the M101-4 just for the simple fact that it was produced earlier in the year. I understand that they may both be considered his "Rookie card," but I would still prefer to have the earlier one, especially because they seem to be more scarce.

So, besides the blank back, Famous & Barr and Standard Biscuit versions, are there any other Ruths that are generally considered to be from the earlier "M101-5" series?