View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf441 View Post
Hi Ted,

1....What are your thoughts on the Red Cobb w/ Cobb back actually being distributed in packs of cigarettes? It always seemed more likely to me, to be some sort of promotional item. Would Ty be able to order a sheet of Tobacco Cards with his own "brand back" to be given out at, for example, his car dealership in Georgia?

2....But, I guess if that was the case, why add a factory number to the card.

3....Any idea when the earliest known reference was to the Cobb back? Wondering if we have proof that these cards were around at the time that the rest of the T206's were being distributed.

Thanks as always for the insight!

best,

Steve

Steve

My answers to your 3 questions......

1st....My guess is that they were not in cigarette packs, no packs have ever been found. And, I do not think they were included in the Ty Cobb Smoking Tobacco Tin.
Most likely, these cards were handed out to Cobb's friends and acquaintances.

2nd....The Factory number is necessary on this this card since it is associated with Cobb's Tobacco Tin (which also identifies Factory #33).

3rd....There was Georgia newspaper advertising in the Spring of 1910 introducing Cobb's new tobacco product.

Furthermore, former Georgia Senator Richard Russell's 1000+ tobacco card collection (which is on display at the Univ. of Georgia) includes this unique Ty Cobb card.
My research regarding Russell's childhood collection suggests that he acquired this card in 1910 when he was a teenager travelling with his Dad (a Judge) to Atlanta.

TED Z