View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 07:53 PM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl9999 View Post
Is there any rhyme or reason to how players were selected for a particular back? I know that with the more common backs you can pretty much be assured that essentially every player would have one of those backs. I find it odd though how some of the best players of the day aren't found on some of the rarer backs. Obviously back then they didn't have the hindsight that we do in regards to this person and that person being in the hall of fame but it would still stand to reason that it would simply be good business to have the best players represented preferentially on ALL of the back variations not just a smattering here and there.
It makes no sense to me why some of the more mediocre players would be representing Drum, Uzit or some other rarer back while many of the best players of the era were not.

150 Series.....Essentially the major Stars (future HOFers) and veteran ballplayers were selected for this 1st series of T206's. The flagship brand of the American Tobacco Co.
circa 1909-1911 was the PIEDMONT brand. Therefore, approx. 50 % of the T206's were printed with this back. Followed by the SWEET CAPORAL and the SOVEREIGN brands.
And, to a lesser degree the HINDU brand.

350 Series.....As more Major League ballplayers (of lesser note) and the Minor Leaguers were added in this 2nd series, so were more T-brands added to the mix (AMERICAN
BEAUTY, BROAD LEAF, CAROLINA BRIGHTS, CYCLE, DRUM, EL PRINCIPE DE GALES, OLD MILL, POLAR BEAR, TOLSTOI)

460 Series.....In this last series many earlier ballplayers are featured, but with new teams. Rookies were also included. Plus 5 new backs were added to the mix (AMERICAN
BEAUTY 460, LENOX, red HINDU, PIEDMONT 460 Factory #42, UZIT)

My point is this....105 years ago, there was no way of knowing what we know now. American Lithographic produced pre-printed sheets of T206 fronts first. Then the tobacco
advertising backs were printed 2nd on these sheets, as the orders for T206 cards were received from the various tobacco factory's.

So, for example......the green portrait Cobb, printed in the 150 Series, will NOT be found with a DRUM or UZIT back. The red portrait Cobb, initially printed in the 350 Series,
will be found with a DRUM back. The red portrait Cobb was also printed in the 460 Series; but, will not be found with the UZIT back. The printing of T206's is a very complex
process which requires much study to fully understand it.

TED Z

Last edited by tedzan; 10-01-2015 at 12:33 AM.