View Single Post
Old 10-19-2017, 03:22 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
There's almost a zero percent chance some of this stuff would happen. If you combine both leagues into regional divisions, what happens to the DH? The player's union would never allow the DH to be taken away, so you'd have to make the DH universal. You'd also annoy a bunch of cities with multiple teams and I don't see how you'd get ownership to agree to something like regional divisions. For example, the Mets and Yankees would never play each other in the World Series and the Subway Series would lose all it's luster. That's bad for NY business.
I think many current NL owners, whether they'll admit it or not, wouldn't mind a universal DH. DH's hit HR's, which is, sadly, what sells these days....and I'd be reluctant to give the owners too much credit. If there is more money to be made AND it keeps the union happy, they're going to do it, regardless. I agree, though, that the NYC situation would be screwy. You can't really have two teams in the same city in the same division. In the end, even implementing half the changes outlined in that article would change the landscape of the game, let alone the whole enchilada.