Thread: Vintage Racing?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I am glad to see the thread coming back to life. I don't have any information to add on the Andretti card that Justus posted. The card looks like some kind of handout to hype the Champ Car race at Pocono that year.

I was able to find a site online that showed nine of the cards, but does not list any other information.

http://3-2-1indycar.blogspot.com/201...ck-friday.html

To me, the most interesting driver depicted on a card is Johnny Hubbard. Hubbard was from Johnstown, Pa., and was primarily a Midget driver. He tried for several years to break into the Champ Car world, but was usually resigned to underfunded rides. Hubbard was killed in a dirt Modified crash at the Reading (Pa.) Fairgrounds less than three months after the race at Pocono. The Reading Fairgrounds was only 10 minutes from my house and I have very vague memories of the Hubbard crash. My father was on the track crew at Reading and talked several times over the years about how horrific the Hubbard crash was. Hubbard's car that he was killed in was owned by a guy named Bob Seidel from Boyertown, Pa. Seidel never returned to Reading after Hubbard was killed in his car.

Kinda weird that Hubbard was included in the cards, since he did not even run any Champ Car races in 1976.

I know this is a bit of an older topic but I am almost positive that these Pocono cards were handouts for an autograph session. I was originally told they were inserted in the newspaper but I am leaning toward the autograph session handout as being more accurate.