View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 07:43 AM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozumeleno View Post
Finding a consistent multiplier for the backs in something like T207 is not easy because it is one of the rarer tobacco sets in comparison with things like T205 and T206.

Also keep in mind that not every subject is on every back. For example, some players have Recruit or Napoleon backs. Other players have Broadleaf and Cycle backs. But those groups don't intermingle. For example, a player with a Recruit back will not also have a Cycle back. There are also the Anonymous and Red Cross backs as well. I believe Anonymous cards can be on players in either of the two groups while Red Cross is limited to those with Broadleaf/Cycle backs.

In terms of rarity, Recruit is the easiest while Red Cross is the toughest. Others are somewhere in the middle. Other than Red Cross, Napoleons are maybe the ones I see the least of.
The player I collect (Grover Hartley) is in the Broadleaf/Cycle/Anonymous section. I learned this at National, and appreciate you confirming. Is the Red Cross a guaranteed back for that the Broadleaf/Cycle/Anonymous, or is it more if the subject has a Red Cross, they would also only have those 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
In short, no one really cares, the player on the front either comes with one of the tough back or he doesn't(Anonymous being the only outlier), thus you have to price according to who is on the front. I can recall when Rath and Rasmussen were tough, and Speaker and Saier, and Donln and Downey and so forth, but alas the set collectors are nowhere to be found anymore, so no great price push for them. The Cycle seems to be the only one with a premium of the tougher ones, due to the bright red back.
Grover Hartley is the player I collect. 15th toughest card I believe in the set? Doesn't bode well for me with trying to place valuations on his cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniehatesjazz View Post
Totally agree with this. I’ve bought t207’s quite a bit over the last five years or so and really there is no back premium except for cycles. In terms of rarity I concur that napoleons are much more difficult than non t207 collectors believe. Most peg it as the second easiest back after recruits but I think this is just because the set is uniquely broken into recruit/nap players and bl/cycle/anon players with the recruit/nap players being much much more common then the latter. The proportion of recruit to nap is insane though... I would guess even low triple digits. Some would scoff at this but I truly think it’s the case even factoring a large find or two (including hoarding). I think rarity goes recruit/bl/anon3/cycle/anon25/nap/red cross. Would love to hear any diehard t207 collectors, if they even exist anymore, thoughts on the subject.
Interesting. Are the Anonymous factories also specific to each set? The Hartley anonymous I've seen is a Factory 3 (also, BL & Cycle).

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame