View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 08:23 AM

Default Why do you like pre-war cards?

A question was posed a while ago (maybe just in my head!) as to if OLD cardboard will decrease in value, once older generations pass away ... and with them, the vivid memories of Cobb/Wagner/Ruth/etc. I believe this has happened in part to older toys from previous generations ... the newer generations simply don't have the same attachments to a 1960's rudimentary boxed game as those who grew up with them.

My thinking is that it is apples and oranges. There is just something about pre-war cards that is alluring to many. Whether it be solely because it is so alluring to everyone, or that it is a piece of history of the national pastime, I don't know. The baseball bloodline that ran through Christy Mathewson runs through Clayton Kershaw, and frankly, I don't think the cards of yesterday will ever lose anything.

For me, holding a piece of history that has survived through so many wars, eras, etc. is truly fascinating ... it tells a story of an entirely different time for our sport.

There is something so different about a 1910 T206 when compared to a 2016 Triple Threads auto/patch. I respect both, but for entirely different reasons. I'm so glad and thankful we have such a diverse hobby

So, what about you? Why do you like pre-war cards?

Last edited by mouschi; 09-30-2016 at 08:23 AM.