View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 02:17 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

This discussion has mainly been about graded cards, and I own my share of high end SGC cards, but creases are an absolute deal breaker for me. In my youth my prized card was a 65 Namath RC. It was perfectly centered and corners were sharp...but it was creased right through the middle. I was the local hero for owning it (pre-internet most only saw cards like that in a book or a becket) and as much as I LOVED the card, I hated it too.

Being a set builder, I will never buy a card with any creasing. OC (to a degree) is OK...corners can be a little fuzzy...but zero creasing. My set standards are 4 to 7's ideally and I am sure I have a few that could grade higher. Anything that comes in my initial lots that don't meet my criteria I upgrade after the set is done (or during as I keep a list).

So for me, creasing is completely out. I respect the high grade collectors here that covet centering, and I am sure if most of you guys were looking through my binders you would often cringe...haha..but you won't find creases. There are the obvious exceptions...I wouldn't turn down ANY shape 52 Mantle, but even my 55 Clemente is crease free (SGC 4, PSA would give it a OC).

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03