View Single Post
Old 08-28-2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default list of reprinted vintage cards?

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I will admit that the chance to buy a legitimate baseball card of Cobb for under $200. is tempting.

The question is,of course, is this a legitimate baseball card.

It is presented as a listing by the seller's daughter for her friend. The seller thereby disassociates himself from knowledge regarding this card. He further identifies his lack of expertise as having difficulty detecting creases, and being unable to identify the set which the card belongs in on his own.

Not very encouraging.

Further, this seller has sold 20 items on eBay in his life, none of which can be identified as baseball cards, in part because he hasn't sold anything at all in six months.

What is the chance that this guy's daughter's friend have of coming up with a legitimate ungraded Ty Cobb baseball card?

Not much, in my estimation.

Now lets look at the card. Is the scan clear enough for you to make assessment regarding its genuineness? No, not unless you really know the issue.

This is not so tempting to me, solely based on a situational assessment. To be safe, an assessment of the situation is the only tool an inexperienced buyer has, since he has not trained himself yet to judge the card.

If you are set on getting a bargain, eBay is a minefield.