View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 03:32 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

I agree with all...the 65 set is underrated and remarkable looking. The set came together rather quickly for me, as mentioned, the High numbers are rather easy compared to 61, 66, and 67. Even quite a bit easier than 64. You can most likely find a few good hi number lots on the cheap if you look hard enough...I did.

Some of the harder cards I have noticed effect most 65 collectors. There is the obvious cost associated with the Mantle (#350), but the good news is there are plenty out there to pick from in all condition ranges. I was patient and waited for a great EX version on an Ebay bid. Ended up getting 3, haha. I did pick up my EX+ and centered version for $115...a stellar deal. Most in that shape were going for raw $150-225...I was just patient and sniped someone.. Other cards that seem to elude collectors until the end are -

Yogi Berra
Whitey Ford
Mel Stottlemeyer
Ernie Banks
Jim Hunter RC
Tony Perez RC
Bob Uecker

The Stottlemeyer RC was extremely tough to find for the right price in EX+ condition. Lots of OC and dinged up cards out there, and it is a High number.

The Leaders, which are found in the first series and at the beginning of the set, are a bit challenging as well. There are 2 Mantle Leaders, and most are dinged up. Be carefull on those...as well as the WS Mantle card...I had to buy a couple before I was satisfied. I think they just get handled more often than other cards through the years...it is Mantle afterall.

If your picky about centering...I had a difficult time finding the Hank Aaron centered and in EX+ condition. Plenty to choose from, just a lot of OC left to right. The Clemente card is hard to find also in EX+ and centered...a lot of top to bottom OC. Mine is slightly OC top to bottom and I felt like I settled a bit, so I am always watching for those. Killebrew is another hard to find without the left to right OC. For some reason, the 65 Killebrew is a more expensive of the Killer cards (I collect Killer, I have well over 200 Killer base cards, its like a crack addiction to me, lol) and again, tough to find centered. I have 12 65 Killers, and only ONE I would say of mine is dead solid perfect centering.

I'll bring up Eucker again...that was my last card. I kept getting out bid on Ebay, and finally overpaid on a nice BIN. It's a high number and rarely goes on bid. When it does, do your best...

Love the set, and look at mine often! Again, completely underrated and a beautiful design. I think the ease of the High numbers is the reason it doesn't get discussed much here. After going after the 66s, and now working on the 67s, I wasn't complaining about the 65s!!

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 02-01-2014 at 03:36 PM.