View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 04:32 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

I posted this elsewhere, but will add it here. Take it for what it's worth, which might not be much. (Note: Don previous added the 'advanced notice' aspect of this as well)

Here is what I remember from Mike Berkus' presentation a few years back. Keep in mind it's what I 'remember', so it may be off slightly. Also Mike has passed, so things (considerations) might have changed (related or not, to his passing).

The National requires the following criteria (in no particular order):

A ) Contiguous floor space to house the entire event. That leaves out smaller venues (like the Moscone Center in SF, I believe).

B ) Dealers must be able to unload and move their own stuff (inventory, showcases, etc). This eliminates those venues that 'require' venue workers to do the unloading and moving (such as some, but not all, that have unionized workers to do this).

C ) The time of the event. The National is always held to fall on (within?) the first week of August, meaning it could start in July and end in August. This has something to do with vacations and schools and other 'preferred' time related things (I think there were others, but don't remember). This is why they caught Baltimore a couple times but not since. I believe there is another convention that now has a long-time ANNUAL hold on those dates.

I think the above are 'givens', and there may be others. Beyond that, there also is a vote on locations (assuming above conditions). That means that while venues exist that might be viable candidates (Atlanta, San Diego, etc???), they will probably not happen, as dealers generally don't feel they get the turnout/sales for those locations (rightly or wrongly). Similar travelling to said locations can be a pain/factor to the dealers. Chicago meets all the above, is profitable, and a breeze to get in/out of for dealers, so it's a regular. (hearsay on) Atlantic City meets the A, B, and C above, but wasn't a popular choice like Chicago (probably the best for overall 'compliance'). AC was 'gifted' to the promoters so there was little/no out-of-pocket expense for the venue itself. (hearsay off)

So if you want to go to the National next year or 2023, there's no time like the present to make plans. 😊