View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Thanks for sharing the story Brian. Have you seen the 2011 Topps Lineage 3D set ? It is a nice set, only 15 cards. Already had a wrapper but needed the easel, which are hard to come by these days

Glad you liked my story, Al.

Yes, I have seen several of the 2011 Topps Lineage 3Ds. I was fortunate to be able to get a Mantle in PSA 10. I just love that card. Since purchasing the rights to produce Mickey Mantle cards, Topps wisely chooses to use stirring photos from Mantle's early years. Two most attractive exceptions are the 2012 Gypsy Queen, with Mick rubbing the side of his pants while at bat. Looks like a live telecast of NBC Game of the Week!

The other I love is that 2011 Topps Mantle 3-D, with the shot of Mickey appearing to be from the late stages of his career--where he would always use a batting helmet, and frequently wear the undershirt with the black long sleeves. He is seen beginning to drop his bat, as he watches one of his titanic home runs sail into the far reaches of the bleachers. Those moments were becoming fewer, and he relished them. Nice shot. I think of that card as precisely what a 1968 Topps 3-D would have looked, had Topps chosen to make one of him.

Thanks again for sharing some of your wonderful collection with us, bro.

---Brian Powell