Thread: Renata Galasso
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2018, 11:41 AM

Default Renata Galasso

I've searched this forum and while there is some scattered information on her, there doesn't seem to be a thread devoted to someone who really helped me, and a lot of others, discover that you didn't need to go to the store to get cards.

When I was trying to complete my 1978 set (my first ever) my dad came back from a Yankee game with their current scorebook/magazine, and I found an add for a complete set for $14.95. It took me a while to convince my parents that it made more economical sense to invest the 15 bucks and finish the set, than to keep buying packs looking for straggler cards (which I kept doing anyway). I found it odd then and still do that the card image they used to illustrate the 78 set was Dave Roberts - a pretty poor paint job of a guy who didn't resonate with kids in 1978.

Anyway, it took forever to come. When it finally did, they sent the 1979 Topps Set which had just been issued. I was furious! My mom pulled the first card, the 1978 batting leaders, and said, "are your sure it isn't the right set? This says 1978". I had to explain it to here.

Anyway we got it straightened out, and by the time I got it I only needed a single card - Gary Ross.

I remember that when she advertised the new Topps set each year, well into the 1980s I think, she used an old, poor image of 1975 cards to illustrate the offer for vending boxes. I actually used to not get those because I was 'worried' I might get 500 mint 1975 cards instead of the 1985 cards I was really looking for...if only!

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone out there has any information on her - how she got into the business, where she went, that sort of thing.

Thanks!