View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 03:58 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Avoid traced or enhanced signatures. It is a huge compromise in quality, and eventually you will want something better/more authentic. Just my .02

Regarding shellacked balls... they did it back in the day, to preserve the signatures. I don't buy shellacked balls, and I hate them. Other collectors are not bothered by them.. it is an individual preferance. I have just seen too many examples where the shellac or varnish starts to peel (and often takes the autograph right off with it).

These balls always scare me, and the practice of shellacking no longer exists as far as I know. Back then, they thought they were doing something to better preserve the autograph. Depending on the shellack, some eventually turned dark brown, some just slightly yellowed, and some remained pretty clean.

I guess it either depended on the quality of the shellac and/or the way the ball was preserved throughout the years. Bottom line is that shellacked balls sell for about 25% less than their clean counterparts... far less, if the shellac is peeling and taking away the original surface of the ball.

Guess that's enough... perhaps others will chime in as well.

Hope this is helpful,
Mark