View Single Post
Old 02-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Default Did you ever feel ya just had to pull the trigger?

Posted By: fkw

The 1951 Topps "Blue Backs" are a little scarcer than the "Red Backs", but both sets are fairly common compared to other early Topps cards. The Lopat has a high book of $30 NRMT, Mize $65 NRMT. There was a large hoard of unopened packs of the "Red Backs" found in the 1980's, and Ive seen a few packs of "Blue Backs" as well, but they are far scarcer unopened. So there are quite a few NRMT/MINT examples out there from these sets. I believe the 1951 Topps game cards are commonly found in nice shape because of the fact they are made of thick cardboard and have round corners to begin with, and the unopened pack hoard discovery. A similar example is the 1913 WG5 and WG6 game cards that are also found in great shape more often than other cards of the era, mainly because of the diecut round corners, and they were stored for decades in the orignal game boxes in some cases. I have never seen many of the 1951 Topps cards graded, and Ive never seen a pannel graded like that before, though I do see the pannels offered quite frequently ungraded. It will look nice in a type set. Frank