View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Default good comments

I see your points. Too bad more weight isn't given to complete games, no-hitters and near no-hitters. I sadly suppose these are but single feats of awe, and don't neccessarily put tally marks in the "Wins" column.

Kinda like a tape measure homer is just one run, same as a long line drive that barely clears the fence. Just like a super human leap for a slam dunk is just 2 points same as the free throw jump shot. Fans usually want to see the spectacular, something they don't see but on rare occasion - this is what Ryan excelled at - I remember the crowd banter at Anaheim Stadium when I was a kid when Ryan pitched, ... "do ya think he'll throw another no-hitter tonight?" And the game my dad took me to when CalTech sported a new highly sophisticated radar gun that timed Ryan at Guiness Book World Records new world record fasted pitch.

Honestly, if you get right down to it, for all around pitching, the aces of the era were Seaver and then probably Carlton.

And on a tangent - Lots of folks put Walter Johnson as top all-time selection, rightly so. However, a young pitcher named Ruth outdueled Mr. Johnson on 5 consecutive matchups in 1915/16. Ruth was then seen more valuable as an outfielder.