View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 04:55 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks for the replies--very useful information.

I am interested in knowing more about the cards that had a separate coat of gloss applied. Specifically, the T212-2s are known for the crazing or light wrinkling throughout. Is that a flaw in the gloss that causes problems in the stock, a problem with the stock itself or the gloss itself? None of the above?(it's really hard to pick up in a scan or I'd show one)

Here are two Gimbel's cards that are typical of that set where light colored backgrounds are found, and below them two other m101-4s that have a different ad back. Note how the Gimbels have a "cloud-line" appearance in the sky that is actually some sort of effect on either the gloss or the photo--this is only found on Gimbels of the various m101-4s. Any clue what caused this?

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 01-16-2015 at 05:28 PM.