Thread: The SCDA trip
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default The SCDA trip

Posted By: Aaron

Josh: Thanks, now I just need someone to spring for my flight (or offer use of their private jet) and the wife won't have any excuse to keep me from attending the National.

Dan and Lee: I want to make perfectly clear so that there's no misunderstanding that non-one is questioning your integrity.

Rather we are questioning your susceptibility to manipulation. Mastro/SCDA paid for all travel expenses to arrange a tour of their facilities where you were shown what they wanted you to see and nothing more. In the process you were allowed to examine some cool items and I'm sure were treated in a very friendly and personal manner.

When you come back to post on your visit, you sound like mouthpieces for SCDA/Mastro with nothing but praise while repeating their conclusions and defenses of their actions ("everybody did it", "industry standard", "new policy", "we can't force auction houses to disclose", etc.) including the financial need for authenticators to act as dealers as well (this despite the fact that Bushing apparently cleared $250K on the streak bat!) and dismissing the undisclosed conflict of interest issue as minor and now beyond their control. Seriously, would you then say Alan Hager wasn't doing anything wrong?

Basically people dismissed this demonstration as a PR stunt before the trip, and you've confirmed it.

Of course, I don't blame you. If I were a Disney collector and Disney gave me an all-expense paid trip and behind-the-scenes tour of Disney World, I'm sure it would effect my objectivity as well.

Anyway, at least you got to handle some cool bats. That alone was worth the trip.

Adam: Glad to hear you are helping Planich out. (I felt bad for the guy when the suit was first announced.) I have a feeling that this suit is going to majorly backfire in the faces of the auction/authentication industry once depositions start (and imagine if it actually goes to trial, woof). .