View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 05:15 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
We need a Variation Convention
To my way of thinking, it's pretty easy :

Are there DIFFERENCES in the card that are explained by a DIFFERENT printing of the card?

I predict a semantics arguement.

The 1952 Mantle is a perfect example, because I don't think it's generally considered to have a variation. There are obvious DIFFERENCES on the card that could only happen with two completely different printings of the card.

The newly discovered 1963 variations have cropping differences that prove there were two completely different prints of each card.

The 1958 Herrera is an inking issue, NOT a different version of the card. It's nothing but a print dot.

I don't actually like the fact that 1982 Blackless are called variations, they are in fact, just like the Herrara, print mistakes, BUT because the autograph is completely missing instead of just random spots (like when there are blank spots in borders, or parts of letters missing like the Herrera) I grudgingly go with it.

If I ever have 15 copies of the 1952 Mantle, and I want to buy a new house. I will have each of them graded by some schmuck with a degree in plastic holder technology, and then I will point out every little print dot as a "SuPeR RaRe variation/ ErRoR!!!!!!!" in my ebay listing.

Can one of you guys slap some sence into me, if I ever go that far over the edge?

Doug