View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Zach, I would also prefer the beautiful and fairly rare Glendale Franks Art Houtteman without his autograph. Congratulations on at least having it, and condolences for the autograph.

We've been in the hobby long enough, I imagine, to both remember when if a Glendale Houtteman was brought put up for the live auction at the big Detroit sports collectors convention in the early 70s, more than a few collectors would inhale audibly at its presence. The bidding would be spirited. I wrote about such an occasion in my E-book on a CD, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN. It was 1973, if memory serves, though I got it right in the book. Anyway, it went down for $85. Collectors were shaking their heads at such a high price, were envious of the winner, and really, the whole place was in an uproar over that particular sale.

Least any of our brothers back talk with, "85 bucks--big deal", a '33 Goudey #149 Ruth also went down that day at the same live auction, in the ultra high-grade for the time of EX-MT, and sold for $28.

The Glendale Franks Art Houtteman sold for nearly triple of the common, but still highly desirable, Goudey Babe Ruth!

Nothing more needs to be said. ---Brian Powell
Hey Brian,

Cool stuff! Wonder if it is the same card....

Z