View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Brad

Default VERY SORRY for the delay - Buck is back!

Hello everyone –
First of all, I'm VERY SORRY for the lengthy delay in getting these pics posted from Buck’s latest tour. I had some unforeseen health issues last fall, and my work and travel gets extremely crazy beginning in January. Thankfully, Leon sent me a few reminders about Buck’s whereabouts, and I was finally able to track him down (I haven’t done anything with cards lately and quite frankly, I’d forgotten I had him!)

Anyway – here is what Buck “Large Ass” Herzog has been up to…

Since Buck is former Brave, I thought it would be interesting if he joined one of the most popular Braves of all time for the last few weeks of his playing career, so Buck and Chipper Jones spent some time together in September and October, as Chipper wound down his final weeks as an active player.

(I'm not sure how to separate the photos with text in between, so here's the full description of his travels, with pics below.)

Photo 1) On September 7, 2012, Buck went to Citi Field in New York and joined Chipper in the parking lot, at the location of the former Shea Stadium home plate. Chipper did a TV interview where he took the reporter and the viewers through his memories of his first career home run in 1995 at Shea. Buck recalled that reporters in his day were not nearly as attractive as they are today…

Photo 2) Buck enjoyed a three-game series at Philadelphia’s beautiful Citizens Bank Park in late September, including this beautiful day game in 9/23/12.

Photo 3) Buck concluded the regular season with a trip to Pittsburgh's PNC Park in October (Buck informed me he'd been here before with a fellow Net54 member, but was glad to be back). He enjoyed visiting the statue of his old friend Honus Wagner, and being on the field for batting practice and to see Photo 4) Chipper receive a gift from Andrew McCutchen and the Pirates.

Photo 5) Buck was passed around among several Braves players in the locker room at PNC Park. They were intrigued by his tour and his story. Fellow card enthusiast Tim Hudson spent a lot of time with Buck, and Photo 6) 2011 Rookie of the Year Craig Kimbrel was fascinated by the “Large Ass” line on Buck’s back.

Photo 7) On October 4, 2012, the Braves held a workout at Turner Field and Tim Hudson took Buck on the field for batting practice. Hudson (center) was joined by fellow card lovers (L-R) Cory Gearrin, Brandon Beachy, Craig Kimbrel and Freddie Freeman.

Photo 8) A day after being knocked out of the playoffs, Buck went to Turner Field on a quiet Saturday morning to help Chipper Jones clean out his locker for the final time.

Photo 9) Buck hangs out in Chipper's locker for a while before it's packed up...Can you find him (baseball card version of Where's Waldo)?

Photo 10) Buck says goodbye to a Chipper Jones jersey, before it is sent to the Hall of Fame. This is the jersey Chipper wore on 7/3/12, when he went 5-for-5 vs. the Cubs.

Photo 11) Buck hangs out with legendary manager Bobby Cox in spring training, March 2013.

Okay - so who's next? I'm taking requests for Buck's next home. Please let me know via PM if you'd like to have him and I'll pass him on...Before I forget him again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg With CJ at Shea homeplate.jpg (75.5 KB, 597 views)
File Type: jpg At Philly.jpg (76.9 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg BP at PNC.jpg (70.3 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg Pre-game ceremony at PIT.jpg (74.8 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg With Huddy.jpg (73.3 KB, 600 views)
File Type: jpg with Kimbrel.jpg (67.3 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg at workout - Oct. 5.jpg (74.7 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg CJ - the day after.jpg (70.9 KB, 603 views)
File Type: jpg CJ's locker from afar.jpg (72.0 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg With CJ jersey.jpg (75.3 KB, 604 views)
File Type: jpg With Bobby.jpg (72.0 KB, 597 views)