View Single Post
Old 01-30-2019, 01:22 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
I am not a Kiss fan. I don’t like their music and personally think it’s mediocre. In interviews, almost every band from the past 25 years names Kiss as the reason they picked up an instrument and believed they could be a rock star. For that reason I do believe that their influence and their vision has changed the course of music to make them one of the most important bands ever and they absolutely belong.
Which is exactly why I don't really listen to anyone that has come along in the last 25 years.

I agree they should be in some Hall of Fame for their theatrics and marketing, for their musical ability, innovation and such, I'm not so positive! Be sure to check out the comments section of that article and see what I mean. I know KISS has some unbelievable die-hard fans, and I don't disparage anyone for liking them, and I actually don't dislike them or their music myself. But their music isn't anything innovative or new, there's no new style or sense to it. They took elements of their music and shows from others before them, from the likes of Alice Cooper and Devo, and molded it together to create the image and persona of KISS. And then they marketed the heck out of themselves and played up to the fans. Nothing intrinsically wrong with that, just not HOF worthy in my opinion from a musical standpoint.

And as to the all the others crediting KISS as to why they wanted to pick up an instrument and become a rock star, it was mostly because they realized that if these guys from KISS could do it without any special musical talent or innovation and just a lot of smoke, mirrors and theatrics, then maybe anyone else could do it as well. As pointed out in one of the comments to the article, the KISS guys even admitted to starting the band to make money and get girls, not necessarily to make great music. So all those aspiring to be like KISS, what exactly are they aspiring to be, great rock artists and musicians, or just some horn dogs making all the women and money they can?

Think about it this way. If someone could figure out a way to be a card collector and that directly led to them being able to gets lots of money and women, how many other would be collectors would suddenly start following that person and using them as their influence and example to get into card collecting as well, with the aspiration of also getting lots of women and money. Now if that same someone's actual card collection and knowledge are really nothing great at all, who cares, they're making lots of money and getting lots of women from it. And because of that someone's great success in attracting women and money simply due to their card collecting, there are tons of other people who would probably think they should be elected to the Card Collecting HOF as a result, whether they really deserve to be in there from purely a card collecting standpoint or not. Now if that is the kind of person you would want in a Card Collecting HOF, despite them not really having a decent card collection or special knowledge or expertise in the hobby, then I can understand why you would think KISS belongs in the Rock and Roll HOF.

Last edited by BobC; 01-30-2019 at 01:50 PM.