View Single Post
Old 03-14-2016, 06:00 PM
L@rry T1p+0n

I started collecting cards again in 1988 when my oldest son brought home a pack of Donruss, and a couple years later I stopped buying new cards. In 1991 I got my first PC and with a handful of other collectors on the "Prodigy" network, formed OBC collecting club.

Twenty plus years later I'd completed most of my pre 1981 Topps, Bowman, and Fleer baseball football basketball and hockey sets. Like other OBC members, I became more interested in pre-war cards, and many of us have ended up here on Net54.

I joined Net54 in March 2013, and after the '13 Chicago National posted on the "Monster Number" thread with 152 different cards. After the '14 Cleveland National I checked in with 370 different cards. At the '15 Chicago National I picked up 45 hits and this got me to 484. I "completed" my set at 518 different 2/19/16 Shag Shaughnessy was the last needed card. So it took me about 3.5 years to complete my set.

I have my cards in a binder and will slowly upgrade some of the worst condition cards. I had to "crack" out 73 slabbed cards along the way Right now I have them in alphabetical order, but keep thinking they would look neat in team order. Here is a picture of my Cobbs page:

I remember learning about the Joe Doyle N.Y. Nat'l card, and after checking my binder, it appeared that I might have one? I know one in a million chance. It looked to me like back in 1911 some kid said "He's not an NL player" and scratched off the Nat'l part.

I sent the card off to my son in law who is a scientist, and he took a picture of it under magnification. Ted do you remember the thread I posted about this?

Anyway lots of fun, and thanks to all the Net54 members who helped me along the way, and a special thanks to Frank and all the guys that post on the "Monster Number" thread.

Larry