View Single Post
Old 03-10-2017, 12:14 PM
Luke Lyon

Art,

First, thanks for reading and for taking the time to comment here.

I don't disagree with your overall point, but this specific situation is a little more nuanced than "me and a few other people haven't seen this card, so SGC must have made an error." PG1 subjects are generally pretty easy to find with Sov350 backs. I know that patterns like that don't always hold, but they are a good starting point for a conversation.

The 9 cards I talk about in the article have a combined POP of 1 between SGC and PSA (the George Davis). The average POP of every other PG1 Sov350 is somewhere in the 8-14 range.

I think it's very fair to look at that data and wonder if it's possible that the 9 cards I talk about might not actually exist. They just don't fit the pattern.

Ultimately, it's just a theory and I presented it as such. All of the research that we now accept as fact started out as a theory that was talked about amongst collectors. That type of discussion is what this site is for, and it's why I started my site.

I get that you've been collecting and keeping tabs on these cards for a lot longer than I have. I also get that by wondering if these 9 cards actually exist, I am questioning those entries in your research. It's definitely not my intention to ruffle any feathers. The checklists on t206resource.com are incredibly accurate and valuable and I don't think questioning a handful of entries should bother anyone, but if it does I apologize. I don't expect perfection of anyone and regardless of whether my theory holds water or not, the checklists are still better than 99.9% perfect.

In the same vein, I don't really have an ego about my theory either. I believe in it enough to put it out there, but I won't be shocked or embarrassed if I'm wrong.

If anyone has a scan of these 9 cards with Sovereign 350 back, I'd love to see them.

Frank Chance Red Portrait Chi Cubs
Jack Chesbro Portrait NY Highlanders
Fred Clarke Portrait Pittsburgh
George Davis Chicago White Sox
Tim Jordan Portrait Brooklyn
Ed Killian Pitching Detroit
Ed Konetchy Glove High StL Cardinals
Tommy Leach Portrait Pittsburgh
Jim Pastorius Ready to Throw Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsart View Post
I have been reading these T206 Sovereign threads and feel the need to respond.

First and foremost, just because a grading company has not graded a confirmed T206 front/back combination doesn't mean its unconfirmed.

According to Scot Readers "Inside T206" book he estimates that T206 production was approximately 370 million cards.

As of today PSA has graded 200,660 T206 cards, some identifying the backs and many others without a back designation.

This represents ONLY 5.42% of the estimated T206 population.

Furthermore, SGC has already graded a T206 George Davis with Sovereign 350 back according to their population report.

So to suggest that SGC has made an error just because certain collector/collectors cannot locate one is simply idiotic. Eventually other T206 George Davis with Sovereign 350 backs will appear. Just be patient.

The T206 resource checklists were a labor of love by myself and others for over 35 years. While I cannot specifically remember where every front/back combination first appeared I feel very confident with my research.

Enjoy these cards.
Art Martineau