View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Todd Schultz

Default neat

Frank,

Many years ago I saw a fake Henry Johnson's that looked sort of like the fake Kendigs you described---same font as e135 but image less sharp and thinner stock (although not yellowish). The card was of Gilhooley, who I do not believe is even in any of the e121 related sets. It was one of about a half dozen that emanated from a David Festberg sale, according to the guy who let me inspect it. I posted to the board about it then because the whole HJ thing was somewhat mysterious, but can't find the post (may have even been the old fullcount board) That's as close as I've seen to the Kelly you've shown. The fact that the Kelly is another New York card, as is the Schang, makes me wonder if its another small, local set made for the '21 World Series, ala Koesters.

As for font differences in e121, here's another, which I've shown before (note not only the spacing differences in the team name but also the "C" in Cleveland):

If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.