View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
No offense but I think you guys are missing the point. His name is J.J. Clarke. The card says J.J. Clarke. If it said Nig Clarke that would be one thing. But it doesn't. You have to go an extra step to put Nig on there.

It is obvious to me that the nickname Nig isn't some subtlety of the time. They called him Nig to diminish him and make him feel less than. It's not some antiquated nickname. It was meant to do him harm by insinuating he was a little too dark for comfort. To say the card should be identified as J.J. Clarke is not revisionist history or political correctness, the card says J.J. Clarke.

For that matter, J.J. isn't mentioned either. Last names are all that are displayed on T206 cards. Only a few first initials were included.

INHO, the grading companies only add first names to assist in identification and nick-names for the same reason.

I believe a lot more folks would recognize him has Nig Clarke than as J.J. Clarke and certainly more than just Clarke.

Fred Clarke was included in the set but was only F.Clarke on one card and just Clarke on the other.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente