View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsports View Post
I've been in this card hobby & since 1964 when I bought cards in a candy store for a nickel. I've been a dealer advertising in The Trader Speaks & with Sports Collectors Digest when it was owned by Stommen Publications. For the collectors today, you don't realize how much fun collecting cards was in the late 60's & 70's. No price guides, no grading, & no internet, There were very few card shows around & if you were a collector of T206 cards back in the early 70's, you were buying a nice common T206 card for 50 cents & HOFers between $2-$5 dollars. I've seen many collectors & dealers pass on & the ones living today are either writing books or running auction houses. Over the years, I've kept to myself doing some e-bay or once in a while a card show. Over the years, some people called me a T206 expert, I totally decline. I don't believe anyone in this hobby is an expert. I know some people will disagree with my comment, but as each year passes, I believe we all are learning different things about the hobby, even the ones that call themselves experts. I may disagree with a lot of people in this hobby, but I do respect them.
Well put! though I must disagree that an expert should not know everything and will still be learning as you stated, but an expert will be one of the top knowledgable people in a certain arena.

That being said, and I do appreciate all of the kind words here, I am with you and must decline the expert title. I know enough to enjoy collecting without the ridiculous grading.

Late 1960s and early 1970s we had just 1 show a year nearby at the Holiday Inn in Pikesville Maryland. It is currently a Ramada now I believe. T206 cards were .25 for commons to a few bucks each for Hall of Famers. I still have my green portrait Cobb crease free i paid $2 for back then.