View Single Post
Old 10-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Default WS records which will never be broken

Posted By: runscott

I didn't say solo shot (or even mean to insinuate it) and I said 2 or 3 outs (implying, given his .370 ba that he know he will reach base more than 1 out of 4 times if pitched to). Remember, they only give him an intentional walk when it is appropriate (if the manager is worth his salt).

We could debate this all day long, but I will leave the fact that he is pitched around to speak for itself - I personally think that most managers in the ML's know what they're doing when they pitch around Bonds. Also, I agree with Cy that Bonds will see more pitches and hit more HR's if he has some protection; however, I think Aurilia and Kent (I'll take Kent over Sheffield any day) in front, and Santiago behind is pretty good - they did their share of damage in the play-offs this year. Also, it was proven that there is no "Bonds-proof" solution - you walk Bonds and Santiago hits a 2-run shot. It amazes me that Bonds can walk to the plate in situations where he knows he won't get a good pitch, then still have the concentration to be ready for the mistake and send it over the fence.

Heck, it's working for the Giants - if not for a lapse in Game 6, they'er World Champs.