View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Val Kehl

My collecting goal for 2015 is the same as it has been for the past few years - i.e., to add to my collections of type cards, Walter Johnson cards, Sam Rice cards, and cards of all the other players on the 1924 Washington Senators Championship team.

Not being a traditional set collector, the only realistic chance I have of experiencing the euphoria of completing or nearly completing a "set" is with the Sam Rice cards (because too many type cards and WaJo cards are beyond my collecting budget). Although my OCD collecting disease requires that I strive for an example of every variation of every Sam Rice card (a "master" set), if I exclude the variations, to the best of my knowledge, I need only the following Sam Rice cards which are known to exist (either they are in the PSA/SGC pop reports or I know someone who has one) to achieve a "basic" set:

1917 Standard Biscuit (D350-2)
1925 Universal Toy & Novelty (W504) (hello Brian!)
1928 Harrington's Ice Cream (F50)
1931 Strip card (W502)

In addition, there may be Sam Rice examples in existence from the following card sets, however there are none listed in the PSA/SGC pop reports, nor have I ever seen any of these:

1917 Merchants Bakery
1921 Standard Biscuit (D350-3)
1921 Clark's Bread
1921 Queen City Cigar Store
1922 Strip card (W573)
1922 Haffner's Bread
1922 Lou Gertenrich

I'll be grateful for any help with any of these Sam Rice cards. Also, I'm looking to upgrade my poor example of Rice's 1917 Boston Store (H801-8) card.

Good luck to everyone with their collecting goals for 2015!
Val