View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 10:49 AM
Dan Mabey

Default 1962P Baseball Ashburn Salesman Sample Thoughts

Hello, Bruce and Fellow POSTulates

I have privately responded to Bruce's inquiry, but thought the community might benefit from my thoughts and any experiences you may have.

Regarding your 1962P Ashburn card, represented as a salesman sample, I am not aware of the individual card or complete panels being printed for in-store or promotional purposes. In 1961, 6 salesman samples of complete panels were offered but are distinguishable by being printed on relatively thin textured paper/cardboard.

Although I have comprehensively researched the 1961-63 Post baseball card promotions and assembled master sets, I am reluctant to categorically dismiss the possibility that 1962P salesman samples may have been produced. The best I can offer is for you to send an image -- front and back -- of your Ashburn card and I will provide my opinion. Also, as a quick reference, you can examine the blank back to ascertain if their are adhesive stains/marks. If there are stains/marks, it is a function of the cardboard panel being adhered to the inner cereal box wax liner. Accordingly, if stains/marks appear, it would certainly be indicative that the card is not a salesman sample.

I hope this helps. My personal e-mail address is inrock@homesc.com, if you wish to send a scan of your Ashburn card.

Warm Regards,

Dan