View Single Post
Old 07-24-2017, 06:42 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Several years back, I purchased on ebay a group of late 60s early 70s OPC cards from a seller in Canada. Included with this group were several 100 69 Topps cards from the last two series. The only twist with these 69s is that they were either cut by the dullest blade Topps had in their factory OR the cards were cut by the same dull blades OPC typically used to cut their sheets. Having nearly completed the 68 and up OPC sets, these poor cuts are quite familiar. Also, having handled 1000s and 1000s of 69s over the years, I rarely come across any that have an OPC type cut.

Anyway, could it be that Topps produced extra cards and sent them north of the border for distribution by OPC? If this is the case was this done due to the fact Topps had excess because supply was greater than demand OR was it done as a test in Canada to see how later series cards would sell in Canada? In the following years, OPC expanded their set sizes...in 1971, the OPC set was 752 cards.

Perhaps Topps produced extra of these last three series to send to Canada, especially since the last three series of 69s had Expo players pictured in their uniforms.
I can't say about the late 60's, but I do know that in the late 70's distribution in Canada was pretty strange. We took a trip driving across the US in 78 with a few parts in Canada. I bought 78 OPC somewhere between Niagara Falls and Sault st Marie. When we got to Glacier park, the gift shop on the Canadian side had 77s, when I mentioned to the person working the gift shop that it was cool they had last years cards she replied a bit surprised, saying they'd only just gotten them a couple days ago.

So eastern was pretty up to date, western maybe a year behind.