View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 03:39 PM
John G.
John Gu.zik

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Rob,

I remember it, too. The first thread was more geared towards going back in time, and seeing something you'd enjoy (hence enough time to watch a game, or a series). This is more geared towards going back in time to change something. Ten minutes isn't enough time to catch even one good at bat, but it would be enough time to prevent somebody like Roberto Clemente from getting on a plane that would kill him. It would also be enough time to make sure that Fred Merkle's name was not forever associated with a base running blunder.
Though people would have to explain how in a ten minute time frame these people would even listen to you. Why would Roberto Clemente listen to someone he's never met before and absolutely change his plans to stop doing something he is passionate about . . . .

We'd all be anachronisms. We wouldn't belong. Best case you could do is get a job working in a store for packs of tobacco that have baseball cards in them in lieu of pay, and even then, you'd need weeks to accumulate anything real.

It'd be like arguing how you could stop the Titanic from sinking. You first have to explain overcoming the crew even listening to you in the first place.

You could also trigger a collecting boom, so that would make old material way more available and less valuable--'hey, that guy is hoarding these baseball cards, maybe we should too.'.

N4: QUESTIONABLE AUTHENTICITY