View Single Post
Old 07-13-2019, 06:09 PM
Steve Birmingham

One day is a really short time to print and staple together enough programs for a game.

The stapling is probably the biggest roadblock. We did a catalog for MIT once that was roughly program size, maybe a bit thicker, but the stapling machine would do pretty much anything in its thickness range at the same speed.
That was 25,000 course catalogs, and it took a week if I remember it right.(and that in 1981)

Could a big place have done a next day turnaround of say 10,000 programs with lineups stapled in? Probably, and the Yankees were probably a big enough customer that it was routine. But even 5K printed and assembled in a day is very fast.

Do the programs, especially the scorecard part have any notes like a number followed by something like 5M or 10M? That's usually the job number and quantity printed.

The program part would have been ready to go, and the lineup and assembly done later. I think it's possible that a change was made so maybe some were the lineup expected earlier, and then the last part of the order had something more like the actual lineup. Possible, but I don't know precisely how they were produced.
Assuming it was done in a rush, the one that's mostly incorrect and has mantles name spelled wrong seems the most likely to be the one.