View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 05:17 PM
Todd Schultz

So Al, I'm probably being a bit obtuse here, but do you dismiss the possibility that all three were printed in advance of the series, and then distributed incorrectly?

There are two scorecards, different from one another, that each have pre-printed lineups other than the lineups actually in play for the Opener, yet each scores the game in pencil consistent with what happened that day. It seems to me that here are the only possibilities for those scorecards:

1. Both are false-- scorecards from other games that contain subsequently added notations in pencil.
2. Both are true-- scorecards that were in use on Opening Day, despite the inaccurate listing of starting lineups.
3. One is true and one is false.

Two out of the three possibilities would have required the printing of different scorecards before the Opener. The only way that doesn’t hold is if one was printed prior to Game 1, the other was not, and the multiple LOTG “true lineup” scorecards were themselves printed after Game 1, which makes little sense.

I am sure you do not wish to cast aspersions on prior auctions of the other scorecards, but it seems that either these others were not actually in the ballpark on Opening Day (despite their accuracy as to game action and in one case some anecdotal evidence that it came from the Opener) or that different scorecards were printed beforehand. So, even if scorecards could have been printed singly between games, and perhaps easily so at that, isn't it possible that two or maybe all three were printed before the series began?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.