View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 08:07 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W View Post
Like Jim Maloney, Gary Nolan, Don Gullet, Larry Dirkier, Mel stottlemire, Dean chance, Ken Holtzman, to name a few off the
\top of my head
I still don't believe you've made your point. All of those you just named had careers of at least ten years except Gullett, who FWIW came from the 70's and not the 60's that you you used in your premise. Several of these pitchers began their MLB careers while in their teens, which may have something to do with whatever you're trying to prove about pitch counts and earlier retirement, although it might be argued that they simply were not properly developed rather than overused. As for Gullett, he never was an innings eater in any event. He also suffered a series of unfortunate maladies/misfortunes that explain his low innings and have nothing to do with overuse, like hepatitis, a broken thumb from a batted ball, several neck muscle spasms and pulls, etc.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.