View Single Post
Old 11-09-2016, 08:30 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default The Big Four – A Small Collecting Feat Completed

Presenting “The Big Four”, the Buffalo Bison infield that would join the Detroit Wolverines to begin the 1886 season. Dan Brouthers (1st B), Hardy Richardson (2nd B), Jack Rowe (SS), and Deacon White (3rd B) would join an already improving Detroit team thanks to recently acquired talents of Charlie Getzien (1884), Sam Thompson (1885), and Lady Baldwin (1885) together with veterans Ned Hanlon and Charlie Bennett. Despite a strong .707 winning percentage in 1886 they would finish League play in 2nd place but would follow with a World Championship in 1887. Injury, mismanagement, and a League policy change on visiting team’s share of gate receipts led to the demise of the Wolverines after the close of 1888 season. As a 19th century Detroit collector, I’m glad Goodwin introduced these cabinets in 1888 before Detroit disbanded.

Regarding Old Judge cabinets, they are not plentiful. Issued over two years, I believe most of them date to 1889 which hasn’t helped me (the Detroits being 1888 only issue). In 1888 the cabinets required between 25 and 35 certificates for redemption (dropped to 20 in 1889). With one certificate per pack of 10 cigarettes, at least 1,000 cigarettes were purchased for The Big Four seen here. Dan Brouthers is the easiest Detroit cabinet to obtain. The most difficult to obtain from this quartet would be Rowe, many thanks to Dan Gantt and REA for making this card available.

Feel free to post anything relating to The Big Four (or any Big Four that preceded or followed). On a side note, Deacon White was part of an earlier Big Four of Ross Barnes, Cal McVey, and Al Spalding (1875 move from Boston to Chicago).
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers