View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Thanks, Chris. Thirty years ago, Powell was really on the prowl for the nicer, exotic Mantles. As I have detailed on here before, my beloved '52 Topps Mickey was consigned to a Mr. Mint Alan Rosen auction that appeared in the fall of 1995. At the time I consigned this gem, several months before, I had absolutely no idea our dear Mickey was ill. Had I known, I probably would have held on to it. Be that as it may, I was trying to raise money for a down payment on a house. I want to stress something. This doing was by no means at the nagging of my dear wife; in fact, I vaguely recall she asked me a couple of times, "Are you sure you want to sell it?" She knew it was one of my favorite cards. It was totally my idea. You see, my wife, son, and I were living in a 100-year-old apartment that was the upstairs of an Ace Hardware store. It was hot as blazes in the summer, and cold and drafty in the winter. After a few years of enduring these conditions, I realized I HAD TO DO SOMETHING!

My guess as to the condition of my '52 Topps Mick, according to what I think PSA would grade it, would be a 6.5, EXCELLENT-MINT+. The picture just glowed, for the photo clarity was perfect, with no print spots, scuffs, nor indentations, whatsoever. Centering was 37.5 to 62.5, both ways, which was fine with me, given the perfect picture characteristics. Also, the intensity of the colors was the best, given mine was the variety with the black line circumventing the yellow Yanks' logo rectangle. I loved that card.

But, I loved my dear wife and son more.

As a guy who tended to keep records of things, I kept the precious letter I'd received from Larry Fritsch offering me his last top grade '52 T. Mantle he had for sale. Since it was a beautiful letter, I held on to it. However, I'll share it with Dave, since it would lend major help to his story.

My very best to you and your family, Chris.

--- Brian Powell
Sounds like you have a great wife too!