View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Default Show us your funny or interesting sports inscriptions

When I saw this Bo Belinsky signed 1963 LA Angels yearbook I knew I had to buy it because it's hysterical!
If you think about today's players, I can't imagine any fan getting such a cool memory for a $5 autograph signing fee. Additionally, there isn't a player that would take the time to sign and inscribe a piece with as much quirky humor as Belinsky obviously had. Check it out!

I'm sure that many of you have some items with great inscriptions that you would like to share. Here's your chance!

For those of you that have never heard of the story of LHP Bo Belinsky, he was certainly cut out of a different cloth. As an Angels rookie in 1962, he hurled the 1st no-hitter in Angels history and immediately became the answer to an excellent baseball trivia question:
Who pitched the 1st no-hitter at Dodger Stadium (NL)?
A- Bo Belinsky (AL)

It should be noted that most people would answer with the response: Sandy Koufax.
FYI, in 1962 the American League LA Angels shared newly built Dodger Stadium with their NL counterpart the LA Dodgers. Belinsky beat Dodger HOF great Sandy Koufax to the honor on May 5, 1962. Koufax followed up with his own no-hitter the following month on June 30th, 1962.

NOTE:
Bo Belinsky became an instant celebrity and the toast of Los Angeles. He partied and rubbed shoulders with the Hollywood elite and dated starlets such as Tina Louise (of Gilligan's Island fame) and Mamie Van Doren.
Belinsky hung around baseball for a total of 8 unremarkable seasons, but realistically his no-hitter in 1962 was his claim to fame. Alcohol and partying were his demons, but he did finally find sobriety and tried to help others by speaking on the topic later in his life.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-26-2018 at 07:01 AM.