View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 06:23 AM
Steve Kennedy

Default 1939 Centennial of Baseball Emblem

Something happened after the unveiling of the emblem and the suggestion to create a patch to be worn by all Major and Minor league Teams Uniforms
Major League Baseball never publically specified , to my knowledge , the reasons for the change in the design or who created the new design featuring Caricature of a Batter for the Patch that was universally used by Professional Baseball
We also know of two exceptions the Philadelphia Athletics and the Baltimore Orioles who wore the Bennett design patch for the 1939 season. Their uniforms were manufactured by the Spalding Sporting Goods Company. Why the uniforms were not retrofitted to conform to the rest of Professional Baseball remains a mystery.

My Point is Major League baseball made a decision to change the emblem for their purpose. My question is why ? What was wrong with the original design ?

The Major Leagues must have had differences with the National Centennial Commission regarding the appropriate use of their uniform and decorations applied to them. Would like to see that information!!