View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 07:29 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan4 View Post
I personally am of the belief/hope that as the world continues to become more interconnected and foreign countries continue to grow (China, India, etc.), there may be a new collector that enters the market...less for the "reminiscing of the glory days" that many of us collect, but more for investment purposes. I would love to hear other board members thoughts on if this is wishful thinking or is a possibility/already occuring.
For a few years now I have speculated what the effect will be on collectibles as China develops a middle class. You could be potentially adding millions of new and enthusiastic collectors into the hobby.

While I doubt it will have much of an effect on baseball, I could see huge impact on items that have wide global appeal -- historical, astronauts, explorers, etc.

Imagine if China sends a mission to the moon? It could spur an interest in tens of thousands of new collectors in astronaut autographs. Items that are relatively common now, would suddenly dry up as the new demand is added.

Just speculation, but it's fun to think about.