View Single Post
Old 04-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Administrator

Default Opening Day....Yankee Stadium 1923....and today

Posted By: Sandy Schwartz

While we're on the topic of Yankee Stadium ...

I took my wonderful 8 year old son Jarett to his first and only game at the old stadium last August. Yankees won 15-6 vs. Royals. We sat upper deck, between home and 1st. 2nd inning, a foul ball comes within 3 seats of us ... closest I've ever been to a foul ball in the couple of hundred games I've been to in my life. 7th inning, Cody Ransom, in his first at bat as a Yankee, hits a high arcing foul that is headed right at my son's forehead. Holding a soda in my left hand, I reach out with my bare right hand, and the ball magically lands in it. Received a significant (at least for me) ovation from the crowd, odd moment where I didn't know they were actually clapping for me. Next pitch ... yes, NEXT PITCH ... Ransom hits a homer! Crowd now clapping for Cody, not me! Talking about stealing my thunder, or at least my 2 minutes of fame! happy.gif

What I most remember ... looking down at my beaming son who was very proud of his dad who just caught a ball, sitting in a stadium that I personally grew up in. My life instantaneously flashed before me, thought about the game in 1969 (when I was 8!), was sitting with my dad in the upper deck and saw Mantle hit a homer. My son looks up at me and sees a few tears (of utter joy) streaming down my face (I had to explain these were good tears ... VERY GOOD TEARS). I love my son, I love baseball, it won't get any better than that. The ball is now proudly displayed in holder with the tickets and a write-up for my future generations to enjoy.

I know many of you can relate ...

Sandy Schwartz